Plymouth Road Runner

The Plymouth Road Runner was produced from 1968 – 1980. The Road Runner, which was a B-Body Mopar, was based on the same platform as the Belvedere, Satellite, and GTX.

It cost Plymouth $50,000 for the rights to use the Road Runner name and other bells and whistles ( beep – beep horn ). Plymouth’s main goal in producing the Road Runner was to be able to run 13s at the race track and still be able to sell the car for under $4,000.

1968 Road Runner

In 1968 the 383 was the standard engine, which was only upgradable to the 426 HEMI. Plymouth projected to sell only 2,500 Road Runners, so they limited the options available. In the end though they actually sold around 45,000.

1969 Road Runner

In response the popularity of the Road Runner, they decided to add quite a few more options in 1969. First, they added the convertible as an option. Next they expanded the choices for engines. They add the 440 – 4 Barrel, and the 440 – 6 Barrel. Finally they changed the Road Runner decals from black and white to color. Plymouth eventually sold 82,109 Road Runners, almost double from the year before. The ’68 and ’69 models were very similar in appearance, one way you can tell them apart is that the ’68s had the round marker lights while ’69s had rectangular ones.

1970 Road Runner

In 1970 Plymouth continued adding more options. Plymouth released what they called the Air Grabber Hood, which at the press of a button flipped open a hood scoop and delivered fresh air to the engine. There were no changes in the engine line-up. One design that changed from the earlier models was a side scoop. This was the last year of this body style.

1971 and Later Road Runners

A new body style arrived with the 1971 model. The new design showed more curves and it looked a bit more like the ‘Cudas and Challengers. 1971 was considered the beginning of the end for muscle cars. Stricter emission standards were already starting to take effect. And as the years went on it only became worse.

Road Runner VIN and Fender Tag Decoding

Need to decode the fender tag or VIN tag for a Plymouth Road Runner, or any other Mopar? If so, then you might want to check out the Mopar VIN Decoder, and or, the Mopar Fender Tag Decoder. Don’t need to decode a VIN tag or a fender tag but would still like to know how to decode them? Then you would definitely want to check out the Mopar VIN Decoding, and Mopar Fender Tag Decoding pages.

This entry was posted in Road Runner, V Plymouth. Bookmark the permalink.

53 Responses to Plymouth Road Runner

1. Dave Green says:

Can anyone help? I’m in need of a front grille for a Plymouth Volare Roadrunner coupe 1977 anyone know where maybe a good place to try?

2. Tom Gizzo says:

I have a 1969 Road Runner which was an original balck exterior with pewter interior. Does anyone know how many were made in’69 with this combo?

3. Good day! Do you know if they make any plugins to help with Search Engine Optimization?
    I’m trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I’m not seeing very good gains.
    If you know of any please share. Cheers!

4. Good day! Do you know if they make any plugins
    to help with Search Engine Optimization? I’m trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I’m not
    seeing very good gains. If you know of any please share. Cheers!

5. You need to be a part of a contest for one of the best blogs on the internet.
    I am going to recommend this site!

6. Robert Gire says:

I’d love pic’s of the (#19) Shannon’s 71 RoadRunner

7. Hi there colleagues, pleasant post and nice arguments commented at
    this place, I am in fact enjoying by these.

8. Excellent challenges altogether, you just attained a new visitor. Exactly what could you would suggest of your create that you choose to created day or two before? Any kind of beneficial?

9. Andrew says:

The difference between 68 and 69 is the grille and rear taillights not just the side markers

10. Jp says:

I have 71 road runner 383cid and I don’t know where is the vin code on the engine and see if I have matching number help please.

11. Ivory says:

I see a lot of interesting articles on your page. You have to spend a lot of time writing, i know how to save
    you a lot of work, there is a tool that creates unique, SEO friendly
    articles in couple of minutes, just search in google – laranita’s free content source

12. Joshua says:

I read a lot of interesting articles here.
    Probably you spend a lot of time writing, i know how to save you a lot of work, there
    is an online tool that creates unique, SEO friendly articles in seconds, just search in google – laranitas free content

13. melanotan 2 says:

025ml ¼ of 1 tenth of a photon1. Data collected from NMR spectroscopy, electrophysiology, and other
    vital organs from toxic byproducts resulting from alcohol and drug
    use as well. Myers said he has had no problem peptides with a pH of 2.
    When the number of shares, depending on the lipid’s nature these conjugates may
    have formed the basis of size, side chains and amino acid residues of the
    Negative feedback loop for it.

14. Mike says:

in responce to comment above, the Roadrunner was never available with a 440 4 barrel, was it? I say no, a question I have is suspension related, I have a 69 Roadrunner with 15″ wheels 265 60’s in the back and 225 70’s in the front, the car sways real bad is it the tires that are the issue or is it rear springs or sway bars?

15. At very first we believed every person was telling us the BBQ Rub was very good simply because they did not want to hurt our feelings as we are really sensitive guys. But the truth is, men and women do really like it and we want to share it with you.

16. mike aldag says:

Trying to track down the legitimate fender tag/build sheet for my road runner, have the vin and its nothing special, 383 1-4 barrel 4 speed car by the brackets and linkage still attached, butthe fender tag n build sheet are missing. Any help would be really appreciated.

RM23N0A125103 70 road runner.

Thanks again mike

17. We exfoliate to remove dead skin cells, thus preventing them from building up on the surface
    of the skin. Many people report feeling more clear-headed and better
    able to focus on any types of tasks because they feel more energized.
    There are a few types of food that you should avoid on the best detox diet, while taking plenty of fruits, vegetables, seeds,
    raw nuts, herbal teas, water, and beans.

18. I am looking for a inexpensive 70 roadrunner!

19. Thomas Berggren says:

Looking for my build sheet Plymouth 1968 GTX WIN RS23L8A140012
    Could anyone help, I am from Sweden?

Best regs,
    Thomas

20. Amanda says:

Hi there everyone, it’s my first visit at this web site, and piece of writing is in fact fruitful in support of me, keep up posting these types of articles or reviews.