AAR ‘Cuda

AAR 'Cuda LogoThe AARCuda was only produced during the year of 1970. The AARCuda was produced to race in the SCAA road racing and to compete with the Ford Mustang. AAR actually means ‘All American Racers’. Let’s first look at how the AARCuda differed from the regular ‘Cuda. Then we will go into more detail with each of those differences.

The AARCuda was different from the regular ‘Cuda in many ways. All AARs had a 340 6 barrel engine. The AAR had a unique stripe called a strobe stripe, which held the AARCudalogo. The hood scoop on the AAR actually took in fresh air. For spoilers, it had front “eyebrow” spoilers and a rear “duck tail “. Unlike a standard ‘Cuda, the AAR’s exhaust came out the sides near the back wheels.

AARCuda Engine

AAR Cuda 340 6 Barrel EngineThe AARCuda offered lots of power with a V8, 340 6 barrel engine. The bore and stroke were 4.04 inches by 3.31 inches. The stock compression was 10.5 to 1. For the carburetors, they used 3 two-barrel carborators, which amounted to 6 barrels. The maximum horsepower from the factory was a whopping 290 bhp @ 5,000 rpm, and the maximum torque was 335 lb-ft @ 3,400 rpm. The 340 could accelerate the ‘Cuda 0-60 miles per hour in 5.8 seconds, 0-100 miles per hour in 14.4 seconds, and race a quarter mile in 14.4 seconds at 100 miles per hour.

AARCuda Strobe Stripe

AAR Cuda StripeThe stripe on the AARCuda, called a strobe stripe, is a unique feature. The back side of the stripe is where theAAR logo is located. The AAR logo is make up of four white stars surrounded in blue at the top, then the letters AAR below the stars. The whole AAR logo has a white background with a black outline. Then, right next to the AAR logo there is the word CUDA, hence makingAARCuda. Then moving forward the stripe starts with small verticle lines then and you get farther forward they get wider, and wider. Finially, at the front it starts to get shorter, and at the front it doesn’t quite come to a point, it rounds out.

AARCuda Hood

AAR Cuda HoodThe hood on an AARCuda is something that sets it apart from standard ‘Cudas as well as all other cars. The hood is made of lightweight fiberglass. What really sets this hood apart from all other cars is the hood scoop. The sleek design really blends in nicely with the rest of the car. Some might think that the scoop is “all show and no go”, but this hood scoop is functional and draws in fresh air. The hood was usually painted Organasol, along with the tops of the fenders and doors.

AARCuda Front and Rear Spoilers

AAR Cuda SpoilersThe spoilers on the AAR also set it apart from other cars. The front spoilers are what they call “eyebrow” spoilers. As you can see in the image the “eyebrow” spoilers are located on the side of the car, on the front fender in front of the tire. There is a matching spoiler on the passenger side of the car. The rear spoiler is what is called a “duck tail “. It is located on the back end of the trunk lid. The Challenger T/A has a spoiler that is very similar to what the AAR has.

AARCuda Side Exhaust

AAR Cuda ExhaustThe exhaust on the AARCuda came out the side of the car. On most ‘Cudas, Challengers (excluding the Dodge Challenger T/A), and other Mopars, the exhaust exited out the rear of the car in a variety of ways. However, the AARs exhaust came out right in front of the back wheels, on both sides none the less. Before exiting out the side exhaust pipes though, it was routed through the standard muffer (which was mounted under the back seat).

AARCuda Production Information

The AARCuda was produced during the months of March and April, 1970. Production of the AAR began on March 10 and continued until April 17. There was however the pilot car that was produced February 3rd. Also, according to a couple ofAAR Cuda Registries, there were no AARs known to be produced March 10th, 25th – 27th, or the 30th. Also they reported that there has been at least one AAR with the production date of April 20. So those production dates may not have been followed exactly by the factory. There were only about 2,724 AAR ‘Cudas produced in the six week time period. There were 1,120 produced with manual 4-speed transmissions, and the remaining 1,614 had the automatic 3-speed transmissions.

This entry was posted in 'Cuda, V Plymouth. Bookmark the permalink.

46 Responses to AAR ‘Cuda

1. Miranda says:

I read a lot of interesting articles here. Probably you spend a lot of time writing, i know how to save you a lot of work, there is an online
    tool that creates readable, SEO friendly articles in minutes, just type in google – laranitas free
    content source

2. alan hasse says:

My grandfather collected aar cudas he has 7 of them. He Is willing to part with all but one. All are in “average” condition . No rust. All the motors Turn over freely but old gas and won’t start. You can reac. Him at 715 218 6781 ask for Scott. If he doesn’t remember just remind him his grandson Charlie is selling the cudas. Please be respectful and remember he is 89 years old. But always been a mopar man!

3. Michael says:

Hi
    Could someone please tell me the engine code for the 340 6 pack & the 440 6 pack. I believe the 340 4 barrel was E55.
    Thanks
    Michael

4. Jim says:

Hi, I have owned my 70 AAR since May of 1970 and am wondering how many AAR’s are still known to exist? Any help in this would be greatly appreciated. To be totally truthful I own 2 AAR’s one 4 speed manual steering and one 727auto with power steering and really need to know how many of each are still known to exist? Thanks in advance.

5. I’ve read a few good stuff here. Certainly worth bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how much effort you put to make such a excellent informative website.

6. Richard Carpenter says:

I bought a 70 aar cuda in 73 for $2,100, and drove it for a couple of years before someone t-boned me at and intersection. I’ve had many cars since but would trade them all for that cuda, orange and black, what a beautiful ride.If I missed 1st and started out in 3rd (to high sometimes), it wouldn’t even shake or shudder.Very fast car and handled better in the curves than my friends 60 MGA, I sure miss that ride. If you’re lucky enough to have one, hold on to it brother, I saw one go for $100,000 at an auction. RC in Ca.

7. Al says:

They forgot to mention that the AAR had a close ratio steering box, I believe it was 2 1/2 turns lock to lock as opposed to the standard ‘Cuda 3 1/2 turns.

I could be wrong, but I also think the engine had 4 bolt mains compared to the standard 340 with 2 bolt mains, or possibly was drilled for 4 bolt mains but only came with 2 bolts. I can’t remmeber. And I seem to recall that the heads were different from the standard 340 as well.

8. Trey says:

Anthony, your answer to the gentleman asking about Plum Crazy was not quite accurate. Sure, the proper name is In Violet, but it’s the same color, but no information exists on how many AARs were built in that color. The number of FC7 ‘Cudas with all engines is known, but not just the AAR.

9. Steve says:

where can I get a copy of the build sheet on my 70 AAR Cuda?

Help,
    Thx

10. Raymond Brown says:

Another unique feature to the AAR & T/A is that they were the first American production cars to be factory built with two different.tire sizes.

11. Al says:

I bought one # matching 4 sp f5 green f8 gut rally dash all intact and running–built on 4/1/70 what a blast to drive–everything works and it go’s 44.000 miles on the car

12. vincent wiles says:

My 1st time here but will be back.Im a long time mopar fan. I was lucky enough to get my hands on a 70 aar cuda.I,ve owned about 20 mopars including chargers,road runners,challengers etc. But the aar was by far my favorite. Was all numbers matching car with no body filler anywhere. Until my EX wrecked it. To answer someones question the aar & ta,s were 4-bolt. Used the same block that they used in nascar. Probably because Maurice Petty helped design the engine. It also had special heads w/hemi valve springs, Edelbrock manifold, dual point distributer and lots of other goodies like fenders from the hemi cuda to hold wider front tires.

13. sex and men says:

Simply desire to say your article is as surprising. The clarity to your post is just cool and that i can suppose you’re an expert on this subject. Well with your permission let me to seize your feed to stay updated with approaching post. Thank you one million and please keep up the enjoyable work.

14. Elaine mackay says:

My husband passed away this year but left me his legacy..a 1970 aar’cuda..he owned it proudly for 40years..I now baby it as my own it’s a pretty electric blue with the black strobe stripe..aar on the tail end of it..I love this car as he did..drove it a bit and when I am in it he’s there too

15. steve french says:

Hi… do you know if the barracuda rocker – sill panel trim was available on the AAR and if so what option code would it be? cheers

16. Mike Fox says:

Does anyone know where I can purchase a set of 1970 AAR Cuda exhaust tips that come out in front of the rear tires. I purchased a set for a car I owned in 1980 but don’t know where to look now. Thanks

17. About their engine there are legends! I like cars of those years because of the build quality

18. John B says:

Some decade, I want to restore my ’70 318 Barracuda and install a ’70 340 block I have. I keep looking at 340 six barrel pictures and wondering if it’s possible to install and Air Conditioning compressor that came with my Barracuda. I heard it’s possible but will probably require an after market comp and mounting.

19. Collin1979 says:

Hello admin, do you monetize your site ? There is easy method to earn decent money every day, just search on youtube : How to
    earn with wordai 4

20. Interesante blog . Aprendo algo con cada web todos los días. Siempre es estimulante poder devorar el contenido de otros bloggers. Desearía usar algo de tu articulo en mi blog, naturalmente dejare un enlace , si me lo permites. Gracias por compartir.